The City of Palacios website collects no personal information about visitors unless the visitor voluntarily provides the information by sending an email or filling out a form online. Forms may be used for such purposes as:
- Registrations to receive information about an issue or City service.
- Requests for City services, or to report problems.
- Applications for employment, or for voluntary positions.
- Registration for email contact during an emergency.
The voluntary personal information collected with online forms may include your name, address, email address or telephone number. This information may be stored in a database, delivered to City employees via email, or both.
Applications for employment submitted online may also include personal information about the applicant’s education, employment history, and personal references.
Emails sent to City departments, individual City employees, or elected City officials, automatically include the email address of the sender. Any personal information provided in an email will be treated in the same way as personal information submitted using an online form. Emails may be forwarded to the appropriate City department for response or other action.
The City of Palacios does not:
- Collect or sell information for commercial marketing
- Provide personal information to private organizations
- Share any personal information with other agencies or persons if prohibited by law. Some City projects involve collaboration with other local or State government agencies. Voluntary personal information submitted to the City of Palacios to express interest in or make comments about such projects may be shared with the other agencies involved.
Responses to surveys, comments, and demographic information provided by visitors may be aggregated to produce statistical reports. These reports may be released to the public and may include, without attribution, comments provided by site visitors.
The City of Palacios does not require visitors to register or provide any personal information to be allowed to view pages within the City of Palacios website.
Web Server Log Files
Every visit to any page of the City of Palacios website is automatically recorded in a log file created by the Web server operating software. These log entries record information about the visit that is used to understand how many visitors come to the site and how they use it.
These log entries cannot be used to identify any individual person. All visits recorded in this way are anonymous.
Examples of the types of information automatically recorded include:
- The date and time of the visit.
- If the website was reached by using a link from another website, the name of the referring site is recorded.
- If the website was reached using Web search software, the word or phrase searched for is recorded.
- The type of computer operating system used.
- The type of Web browser software used.
The data collected in these log files is reviewed to better understand how visitors use the website. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Counting the number of visitors for a given time period.
- Measuring the average number of pages viewed during each visit.
- Measuring the average length of time each visit lasts.
- Identifying the most frequently visited pages.
These analyses are used to generate reports on website traffic. The reports are distributed to City employees involved with publishing material on the website, so they may better understand how the site is used, and to make improvements.
“Cookies” are small text files generated by the Web server and stored on a visitor’s computer. Cookies placed by a Web server can be read by the server at a later time. The purpose of cookies is to help distinguish each visitor. A cookie might store information about when the visitor last accessed the website or a marker that indicates a visitor had previously viewed a particular page. For example, if an online survey was conducted on the website, and the intention was that each visitor should only complete the survey once, a cookie might be created when the survey form is submitted to signify that the visitor has completed it.
Cookies stored on a visitor’s computer by the City of Palacios website do not contain personal information. For more information about cookies, visitors are advised to consult the documentation for their Web browser software.
The City of Palacios strives to protect the information provided by site visitors. However, this should not be considered as fail proof, and the City of Palacios cannot guarantee the security of information stored on its network.
Public Records and Disclosure
The City of Palacios does not sell or rent personally identifiable information but please understand that when you provide information to any government entity that information may be subject to the Texas Public Information Act and applicable federal legislation. Information about the Texas Public Information Act is available from the Office of the Attorney General. Each governmental body must be contacted directly about the records they keep and their use of personally identifiable information.